Should seniors take supplements?
Managing weight gets tougher as a person gets older. One may start to lose weight either because of an illness or a natural loss of appetite. Whetever1 the reason, keep in mind that the body works best at a healthy weight.1,2
Being underweight or losing weight suddenly should prompt one to see the doctor to ensure that there is no underlying medical condition that is causing it. Even if there is no medical illness causing a sudden loss of weight, seniors’ weight has a tendency to drop due to appetite loss. This naturally leads to the insufficient nourishment for the aging body. 2
Weight loss can be especially serious for older people. Due to deficiency in important nutrients, weight loss increases the risk of health problems including fatigue, hair loss, anemia, or osteoporosis. Moreover, it weakens the immune system, leaving one more susceptible to illnesses and infections.1,2
Maintaining a healthy body weight is important, and there are steps you can take to gain weight healthily. 1,2
- Eat nutritious, calorie-dense snacks throughout the day if you’re struggling to eat 3 large meals a day.
- Fill up on protein first and save your vegetables for last.
- Avoid water before eating so you have room for your meal.
- Pick bigger plates because using smaller plates can cause you to eat less.
- Avoid filling up on foods that are high in saturated fat or sugars, such as sugary fizzy drinks, cakes and biscuits.
- Consult with a dietitian or healthcare professional. He or she can help you come up with an eating plan based on your specific calorie needs and figure out why and how you’ve lost weight.
- Make mealtimes more social. Eat in the company of family and friends to make it a more enjoyable experience.
- Replace or supplement a meal with calorie-dense liquids. Ensure is clinically proven to help people manage weight. It provides a complete, balanced nutrition for strength and energy. It also contains HMB or beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrat which helps in slowing down muscle loss or sarcopenia. 1,2, 3