Disease Prevention Tips for Elderly
Infections can be caused by bacteria, viruses, fungi or parasites. It can enter our body, multiply and interfere with normal bodily functions which can make you sick. There is no need to worry, keeping good personal hygiene can be your first line of defense to avoid infections or disease.
- Get vaccination. Immunization from disease is one way to avoid common diseases like pneumonia, influenza, hepatitis and etc.
- Wash your hands frequently. Lather up with soap or cleanser, and rub it into the palms and backs of your hands and your wrists. Be sure to clean your fingertips, under your nails and between your fingers. Rinse under running water. Dry your hands and wrists thoroughly.
- When coughing or sneezing, use your arms to cover your mouth or nose or better yet, use a tissue or handkerchief. This is to ensure that you avoid spreading disease to other people.
- Regularly clean your environment or living space. Disinfect once in a while, if possible, to ensure that microorganisms are not within reach.
- Clean your food. From vegetables, meat, fruits, & etc, we need to make sure that anything that will enter your body is safe from bacteria or viruses.
These are just simple hygiene tips that could help you avoid being sick or contracting a disease. Always remember that prevention is always better than cure.